To become licensed to practice psychology in Connecticut a person must complete and pass an exam given by the state’s Department of Public Health. If someone is looking to specialize in child psychology or another field they must have a doctoral degree in psychology from an accredited psychology school as well as having passed the state exam.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook is expected to grow at a more rapid rate than other fields. The median pay for a psychologist is just under $70,000. This can be affected by a number of factors, such as location and specialization, if any. Child psychologists often choose to work in a school as opposed to an office and that position is also in demand. With the many issues of child learning and behavioral issues, schools are looking to increase the use of child psychologists.
In Connecticut there are many schools that offer degrees in psychology. Each of the following schools offers a four year program in psychology. Some of them also have a graduate program to continue your education further into the field of working with children.
- Central Connecticut State University – has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and also a Masters program
- University of Connecticut – offers a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology program as well
- University of Hartford – has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, several Masters programs in Psychology and a Doctoral program as well
- University of New Haven – offers both a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Master of Arts in Psychology
- Yale University – has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
Once completed, a student can take the state exam to begin practicing psychology in the state of Connecticut. This is expected to continue to be a promising career.